Church Doctrinal Statement
Some would say that emphasizing doctrine is a risk for a church, that it will result in divisiveness.
But the New Testament holds doctrinal clarity in high regard. It is important to hold fast to the truth, but to hold it in love.
"But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine." (Titus 2:1 ESV)
If you are interested in reading through our statement of faith, we invite you to do so here:
STATEMENT OF FAITH
Each and every person, in order to become or remain a member of this church should subscribe to the following articles of faith, (when any member feels he or she can no longer so subscribe, he/she should, for honesty and conscience sake, withdraw).
- We believe that the completed Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are verbally inspired by God and are inerrant in the original writings and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and practice. (II Timothy 3:16-17; Rev. 22:18-19).
- We believe in the triune God- - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, each person being equal, yet there being not three Gods but one. (Gen. 1:1; John 10:30).
- We believe God created everything and upholds His creation by the word of His power. God is eternal and all knowing, all powerful and unchanging. He is holy in character and just in His dealing with us. God is love and truth. He is the sovereign Lord of all. (Revelation 4:11, Hebrews 1:3, Isaiah 40:9-17, 1 Peter 1:15, Psalm 19:9, Romans 3:2-26, 1 John 4:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 1, and Romans 9).
- We believe in the virgin birth, the sinless life, and the eternal deity of Jesus Christ the Lord. (Isa. 7:14; Luke 1:35; John 8:46; Heb. 7:26; John 1:1).
- We believe that men are justified on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of the Lord Jesus. Salvation is entirely by the grace of God and not by any works so that all boasting is excluded. (Acts 13:38-39; Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5; Rom. 3:25; Heb.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection and Lordship of Jesus, His ascension into Heaven, and His present intercession and high priesthood in the presence of God for us. (Acts 2:32; I Cor. 15:23; Acts 1:9; I John 2:1; Heb. 8:1-2).
- We believe in that "Blessed Hope" - the personal, imminent, and pre-millennial coming of the Lord Jesus Christ for His saints, then to establish His millennial kingdom. (I Thes. 4:13-18; Zech. 14:4-11; Rom. 5:9; I Thes. 1:10, 5:9; Rev. 3:10,
- We believe that the Holy Spirit is a person, who convicts the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment; and that He regenerates, indwells, enlightens, and empowers the saved. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is received by every believer at salvation (John 16:8; Rom. 8:9; I Cor. 3:16; 6:19; 12:13; Ephesians 1:13; I John 2:27)
- We believe that Satan is a real person who was created perfect, but fell through pride. He was the tempter at the fall of man, and is the archenemy of God and the souls of men. (Job 1:6-7; Ezek. 28:14-15; Isa. 14:12-13).
- We believe all human beings, born or unborn, are made in the image of God and are descendants of Adam. Everyone, regardless of skin color, ethnicity, religion, class, sex or age, has an intrinsic dignity and is worthy of our love and service. Our salvation in Christ will transform all of our personal and social responsibilities. Faith must be reflected in our lives. (Isaiah 1:17, Genesis 1:26-27, Leviticus 19:18, Luke 6:27-36, Acts 17:24-26; James 2:14-26).
- We believe in the fall of man through the sin of Adam, resulting in the necessity of the New Birth through Jesus Christ. (Romans 5:12, 14; John 3:3-6).
- We believe in eternal security for the believer on earth and the eternal blessedness of the righteous in Heaven. (John 10:27-30; Romans 8:35, 38, 39).
- We believe that those who are born again possess two natures, and that believers may be victorious over the old nature through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit, but eradication of the old nature is unscriptural. (Rom. 6:13, 8:12-13; Gal. 5:16-25; Eph. 4:22-24; Col. 3:10; I Peter 1:14-16; I John 3:5-9).
- We believe that every believer has received spiritual gifts to minister to others in the body of Christ. A primary role of leadership is enabling individual members to discover and use their gifts. God is sovereign in all matters, and does hear and answer the prayer of faith according to His will for the sick and afflicted (Eph. 4:11-12; Rom. 12:6-8; 1 Cor. 12:12-31; James 5:15; 1 Pet. 4:10-11).
- We believe that all the true believers in Jesus Christ are members of the body of Christ, the true Church; therefore, we have fellowship with all who are believers. (I Corinthians 12:12-13; Hebrews 12:23).
- We believe that the saved are called to a life of separation from all worldly and sinful practices and are admonished by Scripture to grant a degree of Christian liberty to others. (Romans 12:2; 14:1-23; 1 Cor. 10:23-33; II Cor. 6:14; James 4:4; I John 2:16).
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of all men; the eternal blessedness of the saved, and the eternal conscious punishment of the unsaved. (John 14:1-6; Phil. 3:20; Rev. 21:1-4; Matt. 25:46; Rev. 22:11).
- We believe that in view of the total depravity and the lost condition of all the unsaved, the obligation of the saved is to witness by life and word to the whole world of the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ. (Acts 1:8; Matthew 28:19-20).
Latest Video Sermon:
At Abingdon Bible Church, the preaching and systematic teaching of God's holy Word is at the center of our corporate gatherings. Come join us and become a student the Bible for life. However, if you can't join us for whatever reason, we have many of the sermons from our regular worship services archived here on our website. We trust that you'll benefit from them as much as we have already.View More Sermons »
We've Got You Covered!
There's something for every age group. From Bible study and sports activities to just plain fun and games, the Children's Ministries at Abingdon Bible Church will help you to raise up your child in the way that they should go. Weekly activities and seasonal events for all age groups of children and youth. Check out our Children's Ministries page for more information.Children's Ministries »